8.08.2005

of pompons, hazmat, and fuzzballs

I hate to steal Jessica's thunder, but I simply can't wait until Thursday to share my excitement.

The new Rowan is here! The new Rowan is here!


When bad pompons happen to good people

In the all about me department, I started my new real grownup job today. By grownup, I mean I can't work in my jammies or at the cafe as I am wont, there's no yarn discount, but I get health insurance and a retirement fund. There's benefits and there's benefits, y'know?

This job is so grown up, there was even an HR orientation. The highlight of the orientation was a short film, a summary of which follows:

A woman discovers a puddle in a campus parking lot. She locates the nearest emergency telephone and contacts campus security. Within moments a hazmat team in PVC suits and gas masks appear on the scene. They dump bags of kitty litter on the puddle, suck up the gunk with a shopvac, and drive off before the woman can thank them.

I was so stupefied I had to knit a bit on my sock to stay focused and calm.

On the walk home I kept an eye out for puddles, but could not locate any emergency telephones. I will have to find a different route home during the rainy season.

Once home, I engaged in a bit of fiber therapy, transforming this:

into this:


and then this:

I think I'll try navajo plying again since the colors are so purty. But once again, completely at a loss for what to make with this yarn.

The yellow/brown bits from the original roving (Interlacements wool/mohair) were cast aside for another project - they just didn't seem right with the jewel colors. Any ideas for what to do with those?
Another zucchini saved from the compost heap
Grits Redux
Stella's Shrimp and Grits
Fairy door sighting!
I've always relied on the kindness of strangers
Crime scene - do not cross
I found my thrills....
Non-verbal communication
Happy 4th of July (belated)
Potty talk
My Local Yarn Store
Knitty
Crack for Knitters