8.03.2005

Another zucchini saved from the compost heap


Has this ever happened to you? Note the large green object on top of my children.

I do not seek out zucchini, but they have a talent for finding me. This was one of two humongous suckers thrust on me over the weekend.

I am not in a zucchini bread state of mind. It's just not that tasty, y'know? But I felt guilty about chucking these on the compost pile. Here's what I have come up with so far:

That's Ersatz Okra, spicy corn-meal dusted, deep-fried zuchinni inspired by Stella's creation at last week's shrimpapalooza. It turned out pretty darn tasty, but we still have enough zucchini to feed everyone in this zip code, so I am casting about for more zucchini ideas.

While on our honeymoon in Greece, we had some fabulous zucchini fritters, laced with feta and mint. I'll give that a try tonight, and will report back tomorrow. In the meantime, here's a question for you to ponder:

Is frying the only way to make zucchini yummy? I don't mean palatable, as in a stir-fry ingredient or zucchini bread. I want a zucchini dish that will activate the yum center of my brain.

Although I don't grow zucchini, I do grow as much of this as I can in my postage stamp garden:

Hmmm.... Basil, pine nuts, parmigiano reggiano, olive oil. What could I possibly make with these ingredients?

But of course. 2 quarts of this:

We'll be gorging on farfalle al pesto the rest of the summer. With bread and a tomato salad, you've got the world's best 10 minute dinner.

Grits Redux
Stella's Shrimp and Grits
Fairy door sighting!
I've always relied on the kindness of strangers
Crime scene - do not cross
I found my thrills....
Non-verbal communication
Happy 4th of July (belated)
Potty talk
Techno Holster - free crochet pattern
My Local Yarn Store
Knitty
Crack for Knitters