3.20.2005

Everything you never wanted to know about me

Again, no knitting progress to report. I worked yesterday at the crazy yarn sale, and today I have a tummy ache. I am afraid I might vomit on my knitting.

I could care less if I vomit on my laptop, though (not like it hasn't happened before), so for your enjoyment I will respond to Janice's interview questions. If you would like to participate in this blogging phenomenon, follow these simple steps:

1. Leave me a comment saying “interview me.”
2. I will respond by asking you five questions here. They will be different questions than the ones below.
3. You will update YOUR blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

And here are my answers to Janice:

1. How many UFOs do you have on the go right now? (And yes, you have to include the six you have absolutely no intention of finishing).

Geez, I don't know and am too lazy to count. Llama hat, baby sweater, ribbed Lopi sweater, probably a sock. At least four. Wanna make something of it?

2. What is your favourite yarn to work with?

I've only been knitting for a year, so I really can't say. I work in a yarn shop and am constantly overwhelmed by the choices and frustrated by my limited budget. Most of my favorites tend to come from fiber animals. When I knit with cotton (especially green) it looks like crap.

3. Would you like some green ... oh. No.

Green what? Green WHAT?!?! Care to rephrase that, ungrateful bitch?

3. Trying again. Who taught you how to knit, and when?

Well, Deb tried to teach me following my 2004 New Years resolution. On size 3 circulars, with cotton, continental style. She has a sick sense of humor, in her sweet, twisted way. Her secret plan was to drive me insane and it worked. Stella picked up the slack and got me going. I never finished my first project, a seed stitch scarf out of purple Lion Brand Homespun. The yarn and stitch pattern drove me further down the path to the insane state I enjoy to this day. From there on I decided that in order to maintain friendships with other knitters, I would have to be mostly self-taught. Google is my friend, when I can avoid the allure of googlewhacking. From time to time I do call on Anne to hold my hand through a project, though. I want to knit like her when I grow up.

4. Have you ever cheated on your knitting by indulging in crochet, cross-stitch or quilting?

I cheat on my knitting and my husband by blogging. I have been known to commit crochet.

5. Do you do charity knitting and if so, what, and for which organization?

Does sending 20 balls of hideous green cotton to a charity knitter count? I'm too slow, have too many kids, and know too many people having babies to have done much charity knitting so far. I did knit 5 scarves last year and a bag and shawl this year for an auction for my son's school - not exactly tsunami relief, but if you squint I suppose that is charitable. I'm inspired by the charity knitters out there, though. Since I am blessed with health, family, and security, much as I hate to admit it, I should get off my selfish ass and follow your example. I am at your mercy, Bunniegirl. Tell me what to knit and for what charity, and I will get it done before June. Be gentle. Remember I am slow.
The gift of wool
Knitting slump and Googlewhack
Crochet geeks
The many colors of Kool Aid
(Open) Signs of Spring in Ann Arbor
And my new best friend is....
Beginner's Fair Isle Baby Hat - free pattern
The fifth obsession
Why is this woman smiling?
Fair Isle practice
My Local Yarn Store
Knitty
Crack for Knitters