12.21.2004

Felting Frenzy

This is my first knitterly post. Photos to come.

I felted four pairs of fuzzyfeet today, for Christmas gifts for mom, dad, my mother-in-law, and my sister-in-law Lori. All together I have made this pattern seven or eight times. Yes, I am getting a bit bored, but this pattern is so easy and quick, (and economical!) and everyone loves these slippers. I think I can do this pattern in my sleep now.


Fuzzyfeet for Mom & Dad, Lamb's Pride worsted.

I am also felting, ever so slightly, and even as I type, the luscious alpaca headband I made for Dave. It seems a crime to felt this lovely stuff, but it turned out a tad big, and felting will make it more warm and windproof. The supreme mystery of felting: after one round in the wash the headband is actually larger than when I started.

Other projects, all to be done before Christmas: an airy lace scarf for Angela, from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts, my new favorite book. It is out of blue-gray Kid Silk Haze. Lovely to look at and pet, but a bear to knit with. The silk core thread doesn't stretch, and the mohair sticks to everything. Plus I have never knit with mohair before, or knit lace. Did I mention I am a beginner?

Note to self: when knitting with mohair, don't wear velvet pants. Mohair is meant to be knit in the nude.

Next I will knit a nosewarmer for Drea, a felted bag for my sister-in-law Mary, and if there's time, one of those silly wine-bottle sweaters for Joe and Linda. Ok, so the nosewarmer is a bit silly, too. But I think Drea will appreciate it.

Also a hat for Stella, but she isn't getting back until December 28, so I get a grace period for that one.

I wish I could knit something for everyone, but everyone is an infinite set, isn't it?

Time to go peek on that headband.
Gotta figure out this blogging thing.
My Local Yarn Store
Knitty
Crack for Knitters